Posted by Frances Drescher on
Macaroni salad is a great dish to throw together on the fly for any BBQ or party! Here is my go-to recipe -
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2.5 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp pepper
- 2-3 stalks of celery, chopped to your liking (I do small, but rough pieces)
- 1 large onion, chopped to your liking
- 0.5 large green bell pepper, chopped to your liking
- 6-ish baby carrots grated (about 1/4 cup)
- Cajun seasoning
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook macaroni, stirring occasionally about 8 minutes. Taste one before pulling it off the heat & draining to make sure that they are tender, but still a little bit firm. Drain & rinse under cool water. Drain well.
2. Mix the mayo, sugar, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, & a sprinkle of cajun seasoning in a separate bowl.
3. Combine chopped & grated veggies, sauce, and macaroni in a large bowl. Sprinkle a bit of cajun seasoning across the top, and stir well. Taste & adjust seasonings.
4. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving, overnight is even better. In a pinch, you can serve it as soon as 1 hour, but 4 hours really gives the flavors time to meld.
Optional: You can swamp cajun seasoning for dill if you prefer a dilly flavor to the cajun. Alternately, you can omit the cajun seasoning all together & it is still great. I just like the spice!
Share this post
- 0 comments
- Tags: Appetizers, Sides